[wplug] Super-DMCA laws

Frank W. Holden Jr. frankh at zelie.com
Tue Apr 15 21:25:00 EDT 2003

YUPPERS Bob. There are a few more than you realize that sub to this
list... hehehe We ALL have atleast 1 Linux box going and a few of us
have several boxes along with some of the other *NIX OS flavors going
too! This group has been the FRIENDLIEST of the couple I sub to...

73 de KA3UWW - Frank

"R.E.Coutch" wrote:

> Hey !
>
> I didn't know other hams hung out here too !
>
> My call is KC3QW but I haven't been very active in a while.
>
> -Bob
>
> Frank W. Holden Jr. wrote:
>
> >Well, for what I read it means that what use to be legal for us ham
> >radio operators throughout the world is now illegal!!! I sure did like
> >re-broadcasting NASA missions over the net and via radio for the
> >intent of educational purposes...
> >
> >This piece of crap they have come up with is way to broad! By what it
> >says, if I was to re-broadcast a local radio station, as an example,
> >to a friend anyplace else on the net, it is illegal! If I record a
> >portion of a radio show and compress it with a password for
> >transmission, I have broken the law. When did it come to pass that
> >commercial broadcasts over the air waves was illegal??? Now I am NOT
> >allowed to talk on my radios anymore either, so my freedom of speach
> >is being attacked! There are just too many ways and angles to look at
> >this new law that impeeds on our constitutional rights...
> >
> >Just some ramblings from a RF fried brain...
> >Frank
> >

> >Dave Neuer wrote:
> >

> >>Yep, it's true (follow the "text" link and look at the
> >>bill history). It's law in PA.
> >>
> >>Most of it deals w/ theft of Telco service, but the
> >>really troubling part is paragraph 1, section II "TO
> >>CONCEAL OR TO ASSIST ANOTHER TO CONCEAL FROM ANY
> >>TELECOMMUNICATION SERVICE PROVIDER OR FROM ANY LAWFUL
> >>AUTHORITY THE EXISTENCE OR PLACE OF ORIGIN OR OF
> >>DESTINATION OF ANY TELECOMMUNICATION"
> >>
> >>Who is a lawful authority? The cops? A copyright
> >>holder? It's not clear until you read down farther in
> >>the definitions section where they talk about telcos,
> >>radio, satellite, cable and TV broadcasters.
> >>
> >>So basically, this is designed to protect the owners
> >>of digital TV content.
> >>
> >>But that above paragraph would seem to make
> >>VPN/Firewall software, hardware, and information
> >>illegal as well.
> >>
> >>I seriously doubt the legistlature knew just how dumb
> >>that provision is (for instance, most Telcos
> >>themselves would be guilty just by offering VPN
> >>service; even if you argued that their intent clearly
> >>isn't concealing the origin or destination from
> >>*themselves*, you could argue that they were
> >>concealing the data transmitted from "lawful
> >>authorities" if someone passes a song or movie file
> >>over the VPN). Linux is conceivably illegal under the
> >>section.
> >>
> >>It's a crappy law. It's bad for Telcos, bad for
> >>equipment manufacturers, bad for customers...
> >>
> >>As the activists in the MA legistlative hearing
> >>pointed out, it's really only good for the digital
> >>broadcasters.
> >>
> >>Hopefully the first time it gets used it will be
> >>struck down as overly broad and criminalizing a wide
> >>array of current, accepted practices.
> >>
> >>I guess we'll either have to wait and see, or organize
> [...]

"When business interfers with pleasure, give up business!!!"-fwh-

<->     The future of "ALL MANKIND" lies within himself!        <->
<-> Until he figures out who he is, then he can never know me,  <->
<->     and to know me is to know the WORLD... -fwh-            <->
<->                           frankh at zelie.com                  <->
<->                           Some dumb Ham radio operator      <->
Disclaimer:<standard dodo.c>