[wplug] Re: How much performance increase with more memory?

M. Sussman msussman at na-net.ornl.gov
Tue Apr 15 19:56:02 EDT 2003

Scott,

The really big performance hit you take with too little memory is
caused by swapping.  If you are swapping during the execution
of your app, then you NEED more memory.  If you only swap
when you switch apps (takes a long time to refresh screen, etc.)
then you have a decision to make.  If you see little swapping,
more memory is a waste.

You are swapping when the drive is running during application
execution.  Running almost all the time.  Look at the drive light:
does it blink regularly?  Is it on continuously?  Is it on when
you don't think you should be reading or writing files?  These are
indications of swapping.

Some performance monitors report the amount of swap you are using.
The command vmswap will report your swap usage.

Good luck.

--
M. Sussman
msussman at na-net.ornl.gov