[wplug] Samba Question

Scott Eicher Scott.Eicher at e-Profile.com
Tue Apr 15 13:41:29 EDT 2003

I am hoping someone can help me with a Samba problem I've been having:

I am trying to get samba working as a stand-alone file server which
workstations on our domain can connect to, authenticating the username to
the samba server and not to the domain. I have verified that I can connect
the the samba shares using smbclient on the  server and on other linux/unix
boxes. When I try to map a drive from a Windows 2000 workstation on our
domain to a share on the samba server I get the following error:

System error 1326 has occurred.
Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

I am using this command at the command line:
net use \\Samba Server IP\storage1 /USER:Samba Server IP\smbtest
( I've tried the Samba server IP, the server name, and the workgroup name
for the user.)

I have added the smbtest user to the samba server using smbpasswd -a and the
user does exist in the passwd file as well as the smbpasswd file. I have
also set the passwords for smbtest to be the same. The smbtest user is in
the changec group on the linux side.

Here is what my smb.conf looks like (all other options are default):
# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = CCSTOR
        server string = Samba Server