[wplug] How much performance increase with more memory?

Lance Tost ltost at pobox.com
Tue Apr 15 10:32:45 EDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Scott F. Kiesling wrote:
> upgrade my memory to 256 or 512, does the WPLUG public think I will see
> signficant gains in speed? That is, should I spend the $200, or wait for
> a while and get a new machine?

Where are you buying your memory?  What kind of RAM does it required?
CompUSA has a 256MB PC133 SDRAMM DIMM For $20 after rebates this week
(http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=280493&pfp=ADPRODUCTS)...
or a 512MB DIMM for $50.

The big retail stores always have rebates on memory... or you could
probably find the same deal or better at a computer show when they come to
town.

I would definitely recommend more than 128MB.  My boxes both have 256MB
but I've been considering buying one 512MB DIMM for one and putting both
256's in the other.

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>