[wplug] How much performance increase with more memory?

Scott F. Kiesling kiesling+ at pitt.edu
Tue Apr 15 10:01:34 EDT 2003

I am running Gentoo on a Dell Inspiron 5000, Pentium 3, 128M RAM. I use
Blackbox for X and the applications I use most frequently are Evolution,
OpenOffice, Phoenix, XMMS, and Praat (a speech analysis program). If I
upgrade my memory to 256 or 512, does the WPLUG public think I will see
signficant gains in speed? That is, should I spend the $200, or wait for
a while and get a new machine?

Scott
--
Scott F. Kiesling

Assistant Professor
Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Linguistics		kiesling at pitt.edu
University of Pittsburgh, 2816 CL	Phone: 412-624-5916
Pittsburgh, PA 15260 USA		Fax: 412-624-6130

http://www.pitt.edu/~kiesling/skpage.html