[wplug] UPDATE: "Debian Login...?"

Ryan Kaulakis kaulakis02 at pgsit.net
Mon Apr 14 20:30:42 EDT 2003

   Hello Everyone,

A week or two ago I posted a message entitled "Debian Login...?". In
that message I asked for help over some problems (evil hanging) I had
trying to boot into a freshly installed Debian box. Since then I have
installed an *exteamly* friendly Mandrake 9.0 on the same box, unfortunately I
have been getting another error similar to the hanging I mentioned
before. Since I knew it couldn't be due to the *Same* software
problem, I started digging up what I could on X and my graphics card
(a S3 Savage4 card). I ended up finding a site
(http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html) which exactly described
my problem, and mentioned (generally) how to fix it.

I have only been using Linux for about 6 months now, and I am not
really familiar with altering or replacing system files, so I just
wanted to check to make sure I had the gist of how to update this
XFree86 4.2 module file. So here goes:

	1. Download and unpack the file xf42sav-27t.tgz (the site
	author mentions having to build from source on mandrake 9.0,
	which I am running, so I may need to worry about that).
	2. After I get the proper file, login as root.
	3. Backup the current running file.
	4. Replace the current file with the new niftier version.

I hope some kindly guru will take pity on a noob and drop me a line if
I did something wrong in those steps.

Thanks for your time,
Ryan Kaulakis