[wplug] Samba share question XPP, Win98, WinME

R.E.Coutch vze57qmg at verizon.net
Sun Apr 13 17:03:39 EDT 2003

What is the version number of SAMBA you are using?

Keep passwords encrypted, only Windows 95 prior to OSR2 will have
problems with encrytped passwords but
Win 2000 and XP require encrypted passwords.

Make sure netbios is enabled in XP (I think it is by default).

On a mixed Win98/2000 network I have had problems with lan browsing if
the SAMBA server is the master browser.

If you're running a workgroup (not domain) you might have to set the
SAMBA server to no for master browser and let one of the Win2k machines
be the master browser.  (This might also depend on the SAMBA version)

Security should be share for workgroups or server for domains.

Are you having problems seeing the SAMBA server from the Windows machines?

If you're running a workgroup, you'll need a local account and smb
account for each user that will access the SAMBA share.

It you're part of a domain, you can have the PDC authenticate users and
set SAMBA to allow authenticated users access to your shares.

Good Luck,

Bob