[wplug] Samba share question XPP, Win98, WinME

redtoade redtoade at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 13 16:16:52 EDT 2003

First off, are you having problems connecting to the
share or "seeing" it?

Network neighborhood can take a few minutes to update
the list of all available SMB shares on the net (up to
20 minutes sometimes).  But that doesn't mean that
they're not there.  You'll need to verify the status
of the smb connection before you can make the proper
/etc/samba/smb.conf tweak.

I'd try the typical NET SHARE commands at the DOS
level first.  And Win2000 has the good old "find
computer" that can help in your troubleshooting also.

Walk through the troubleshooting guide:
ftp://ftp.stratus.com/pub/vos/customers/samba/SAMBA_Troubleshooting.rtf
and O'Reilly has a decent Samba book with a
troubleshooting section in it also.  (Easy to find on
gnutella... shhhhh)

If it turns out that you can connect to the shares,
but  just can't see them, then you might want to run
your machine as a master browser with a high "os
level."
local master = yes  (NOT domain master!)
os level = 80

SMB is a "first come, first server" kind of thing.
But allowing the Linux machine to take charge and
announce it's own shares at higher priority level may
speed up the replication of available shares to the
rest of the machines.  It's worked for me.

Encrypt passwords should be set to yes.  Some of the
older Win9X didn't encrypt, but it's a must if you
want Win2000 or WinXP to communicate properly.

Security level isn't typically something that will
trip you up at the "browsing" level.  If you can see
the shared folder but keep getting a "wrong password"
error, THEN you need to take a look at security level.
 You can start off with it set at "Share" at first.
Then tighten it down to "User" after you've made
connection.