[wplug] Was: Tried several distro's. Now: Debian HELP

R.E.Coutch vze57qmg at verizon.net
Sat Apr 12 13:32:28 EDT 2003

I setup the sources.list  to point to 2 http servers with the
testing/unstable versions.
Had to comment out the stabe CD's otherwise I got an error about MMap
out of space.

Ran the command:

apt-get install -f && apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

and the machince proceeded to download about 450Mb od files.

It then began upgrading software.

When it was done, I was up to X version 4.2.1.1 (up from 4.0.1) but KDE and Gnome werre GONE!
It again put an unusable XF86Config file in place that I had to rewrite.

I tried to get KDE by entering:

apt-get install -t unstable kde

but received multiple errors about missing dependancies.

I thought apt-get took care of this.

It back to RTFM on apt-get for now. I'll let you know how it turns out.

BTW - What exactly consitutes UNSTABLE vs. STABLE?
      I've got a couple Linux installations running leading edge stuff that I haven't had a bit of trouble with.
      Would security bugs/flaws be considered a reason to call someting unstable or just a program that crashes?

-Bob