[wplug] Low system requirements distro

Bryce Lynch bryce at telerama.lm.com
Thu Apr 10 00:17:23 EDT 2003

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Scott Bourns wrote:

> I have a Pentium 100, 8MB RAM, 800 MB HD I want to save from the graveyard,
> I only need it for a Telnet station, but I haven't had much luck searching
> for a Linux distro that will fit the system.

I've built systems using Slackware in much less than that (I've got a
server running in my lab on 450 megs of disk space on Slackware 8.0 that
I've taken a scalpel to, so to speak).  You might want to look there
first.  You'll have to roll your sleeves up and start taking stuff out by
hand, though.

As for graphics..  it might be possible to shoehorn X into that system.
I've used X on 8 MB of RAM but it was less than amusing.  Don't move too
many windows around at once.  You might want to look into TWIN
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/twin/) for that, though.

--
Information security begins with _you_.  Help combat terrorism by encrypting
your communications!  Public key : http://users.telerama.com/~bryce/gpg.key