[wplug] routing question

Steve Snodgrass ssnodgra at pheran.com
Wed Apr 9 21:53:51 EDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 09:47:42PM -0400, Michael Procario wrote:
> Now my question. I seem to have lost my default route out over the
> router. After I boot and before I run pppd I find these routes.
>
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
> Iface
> 192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
> eth0
> 127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0
> lo
>
> The default route is missing. Anyone know where in the network scripts
> the default route is set. The router is a DHCP server and I use to set
> my IP addresses, DNS and I think it sets the route too.

Mike,

If you are booting your box as a DHCP client it should pick up the default
route from the DHCP server (in this case your router).  If you are booting
static you have to set it yourself.  Red Hat sets it in /etc/sysconfig/network;
Mandrake may or may not be the same.

--
Steve Snodgrass * ssnodgra at pheran.com * Network and Unix Guru(?) at Large
Geek Code: GCS d? s: a C++ U++++$ P+++ L++ w PS+ 5++ b++ DI+ D++ e++ r+++ y+*