[wplug] Low system requirements distro

Tim Quinlan tim at techfocus.net
Wed Apr 9 22:48:09 EDT 2003

Debian will install in way less than 800 megs.  On my Debian workstation
(which has Gnome, Enlightenment, Apache, MySQL, tons of dev and desktop
software) only uses about 650 megs after you subtract out movies, mp3s
and /usr/src.  It's been about 4 years since I've installed Debian on
this machine, I'm using apt to update it, so there are probably a few
packages laying around which aren't needed any more.

If you use Debian in a limited disk space machine, remember that it
keeps copies of .deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives, and they can pile
up after a while.  apt-get autoclean will remove the old .deb files.

There is even a distro of Debian that will fit on a 180MB mini-CDR.
http://www.debianplanet.org/node.php?id=931