[wplug] ldconfig problem

Paul Cantalupo lupey+ at pitt.edu
Wed Apr 9 13:48:37 EDT 2003

Hello,

I am in the process of updating my Slackware 8.0 system by following the
UPGRADE.TXT file from ftp.slackware.com. First, I upgraded by system to
8.1 and I was getting alot of errors from ldconfig that said
"<libraryfile> is to small, not checked". But after all the packages
were installed and I rebooted successfully into X, I didn't worry.
"Cool", I thought since that was the first time I every upgraded a Linux
system.

But then I tried to upgrade from 8.1 to 9.0 by following the 9.0
UPGRADE.txt instructions and using 9.0 packages. Again, ldconfig gave me
problems with "too small, not checked". I ignored it since it didn't
seem to hurt me during my 8.0 to 8.1 upgrade. But then when I rebooted,
fcsk found an error and stopped the boot process. It automatically
rebooted the computer and fcsk seemed to pass all partitions. Then right
after sshd was executed, I got all those darn ldconfig errors ("too
small, not checked"). I tried to 'telinit 4' to get into X but the X11
session manager hung on me. I rebooted and tried 'startx' but I get
several xauth errors that read:

xauth: error while loading shared libraries: libX11.so.6: cannot open
shared object file: no such file or directory.

Can anybody suggest what I should try next?

Thank you,

Paul