[wplug] Residential DSL in Pittsburgh

Zach Paine zman at wplug.org
Mon Apr 7 15:19:26 EDT 2003

I tried to get DSL, but I am too far away from my local CO to get anything
better than IDSL, which sucks.  I've been using AT&T cable internet for 2 or
3 years now, and although no one likes to hear it, it seems like a better
deal than DSL.  It is most certainly cheaper, $40/mo (or at least was when I
was looking at DSL costs a couple years ago) and in a lot of cases faster.
The fastest speed that I've reached is 300 kilobytes/sec (yes, kilobytes).  I
seem to recall that AT&T capped download speeds; if so it is still plenty
fast.  I was getting 200 kilobytes/sec yesterday downloading the most recent
animatrix episode.

AT&T doesn't block any ports either, even though the contract says no servers.
I've had no problem using sshd or apache on standard ports.

Linux configuration is easy, but expect no support from them.  The IP is
psuedo-dynamic.  I say pseudo because although you use dhcp, I haven't seen
my IP change for quite a long time.

	-Zach