[wplug] Residential DSL in Pittsburgh

Lance Tost ltost at pobox.com
Mon Apr 7 13:07:06 EDT 2003

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Beth Lynn wrote:
> Here are my experiences
> #1 The many times I have called their tech support,
> they don't even want to hear the word Linux. They

Never had to call tech support... but this is generally what's expected.
When I used Verizon, I would just tell them I was using Windows and fake
the info they wanted :)

> #2 In their terms of service they say if you setup a
> server then you have to let them know your
> administrator
> password so that they can insure you aren't using
> their residential services for financial gain. At one
> point, I asked them, what counts as a "server"? If I
> allow ssh connections on my linux box does that count
> as a server?
> My answer from the libcom tech "What's ssh?" I took
> that as a no.
> Why should I give my root password to my ISP,
> especially if they don't know what ssh is?!?

They don't bother me about ssh and I certainly wouldn't bring it up with
them.  They just want to make sure you're not scamming them and making
money on a residential line instead of paying for commercial... common
sense tells you that they're be concerned about web access since I don't
know of much e-commerce done via ssh.  Sure, it's possible, but...

> #3 Libcom will bundle a few static ips into your dsl
> plan, but they do not expect you to use it. When
> calling tech support, they won't talk to you unless
> your have your WINDOWS box directly plugged into the
> dsl modem. No hubs/switches/routers allowed. They've
> told me several times "We don't support networks"
> How else should I use all of the ips you provide?

How?  Well, I would plug my DSL modem into my Linux box and configured
iptables to NAT both external addresses to my internal boxes (or even
internal IPs on the same box).  This is exactly what I've done at home.

I wouldn't expect them to troubleshoot your home network.  They want to be
sure that the problem exists between the machine attached to the DSL and
their equipment and/or the internet.  That's fair.  Would you expect the
phone company to come out and fix some inside wiring that you did if it
caused phone service problems for you?  Sure, for $20/quarter hour or so.

> If you are even considering libcom, figuring that
> you will not need their support anyhow, please
> consider the following. Do you want to measure your
> yearly downtime in weeks or minutes?

Mine's been up solid for as long as I can remember.  Occasionally, there
are brief outages in the late night/early morning hours... but everyone's
gotta do maintenance sometime.

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>