[wplug] Residential DSL in Pittsburgh

Beth Lynn bluekanary at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 7 12:45:28 EDT 2003

Hello,

Personally I highly do not recommend libcom DSL.
During my time as a customer, they were far from
Linux friendly.

Here are my experiences
#1 The many times I have called their tech support,
they don't even want to hear the word Linux. They
insited that I use a windows box to debug connectivity
problems. They will only talk to you if you promise
that you've rebooted your windows system several times
and that didn't fix the problem. The 1st tier and 2nd
tier techs in my experience do not appear to have a
clue about anything *nix. They don't support anything
but windows.
#2 In their terms of service they say if you setup a
server then you have to let them know your
administrator
password so that they can insure you aren't using
their residential services for financial gain. At one
point, I asked them, what counts as a "server"? If I
allow ssh connections on my linux box does that count
as a server?
My answer from the libcom tech "What's ssh?" I took
that as a no.
Why should I give my root password to my ISP,
especially if they don't know what ssh is?!?
#3 Libcom will bundle a few static ips into your dsl
plan, but they do not expect you to use it. When
calling tech support, they won't talk to you unless
your have your WINDOWS box directly plugged into the
dsl modem. No hubs/switches/routers allowed. They've
told me several times "We don't support networks"
How else should I use all of the ips you provide?

These are the linux specific reasons why I would not
recommend libcom.

If you are even considering libcom, figuring that
you will not need their support anyhow, please
consider the following. Do you want to measure your
yearly downtime in weeks or minutes?

Thanks,
Beth Lynn