[wplug] Residential DSL in Pittsburgh

Bill bhalpin at collaborativefusion.com
Mon Apr 7 12:35:52 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 12:06, Paris Lundis wrote:
> not for cable... only the monsters of the universe doing provisioning...

I'm not sure what the above comments mean but I have Comcast and am
happy thus far.  I just got the connection about 2 weeks ago.  I told
them it was windows install and then just booted my machine under
linux.  Everything came right up.

I have Telerama's DSL at work (its a residential line) and as much as it
pains me to say, their DSL has been absolute crap (I am normally a
Telerama supporter).  We experience significant and frequent outages 3
out of 5 afternoons a week.

We bought our Telerama DSL to replace Verizon DSL.  The uptime for
Verizon wasnt significantly better but it was better.  Verizon only
offers one static IP per account.

If you havent already researched this, I'd check to make sure DSL is
even available in your area.  DSL is still not offered in my
neighborhood.  When i moved in roughly 3 years ago, Verizon told me DSL
would likely be offered within the year and would absolutely be
available in no later than two years.  Its still not available nor are
they able to give a real answer as to when it will be.

hope some of this helps...