[wplug] Setting up a server using just console tools

John john at strangeness.org
Fri Apr 4 23:26:18 EST 2003

Mike,

Honestly that's the best way to really learn what's going on behind the
scenes.  Also don't think that you can't run a X with only 64M ram cause you
can, just get don't use KDE or Gnome, I would suggest either Windowmaker
(www.windowmaker.org) or fluxbox (flubox.sourceforge.net), both are very
capable window managers with very small memory footprints.

Use rxvt instead of xterm/eterm/gnome-terminal, it also requires less
memory.

Also, if you look in /etc/inittab you'll see 6 console terminals spawning,
you can cut those down as well to 2/3 consoles.  Then go through some of the
services that you have running that you may or may not need, cut down on the
number of apache processes, make sure lpd is not started, there is a bunch
of fat you can trim from the normal 7.3 install that will allow you to run X
and a decent machine with 64M of ram, it can be done.

There is another light version of Xfree somewhere that I remember, a quick
hit of freshmeat didn't return what I was looking for and I couldn't
remember the name of it for nothing, but if you can find that you can run X
in a much smaller memory footprint as well.

Good luck!

- John