[wplug] Setting up a server using just console tools

Procario, Michael Michael.Procario at science.doe.gov
Fri Apr 4 17:59:24 EST 2003

My father-in-law bought a new machine recently and gave me his 300 MHz K6-2
to do with as I please. I decided to make it a family server. We have
multiple machines in the house but somebody always needs a file that is on
the already occupied machine. A server looks like the best solution.

I installed Redhat 7.3 since I had it sitting around. I chose to not install
X, since I will not need X and it only has 64 MB of memory. All went well in
the install, and when asked for a security level, I chose medium. This setup
firewall rules for ipchains. I hate to see what high security is. As far as
I can tell the only packets it was letting through were the DHCP packets. It
did have an IP address after I rebooted.

I will need ssh to connect to the box and manage it after I take its monitor
away, so I needed to open port 22. I started reading man pages and they were
pretty opaque. I got the HOWTO and that was much clearer. In the end it took
one command using ipchains to let ssh through and one to save the change. I
still need to work on getting smb and nmb through so it can actually act as
a server, but that does not look so hard.

You really feel like you have learned something after you do it command line
style.  I look forward to attacking it again tonight.

Mike

--
Mike Procario
DOE - Division of High Energy Physics