[wplug] Redhat 9 Depressing as a first impression

John Strange john at strangeness.org
Fri Apr 4 13:21:53 EST 2003

Well after more digging I'm finding out a bit more:

Anything I do in X is a major drag, soon as I dump X and run the console
everything works out.  This may have something to do with XFree, or the
fact that I'm dual heading.

Interesting enough that when I run single headed things seem to appear
much snappier, unless I'm using the new nvidia driver, which there seems
to be a lot of issues with it according to their forums.

Looks like I picked the wrong combination of things to rebuild my
desktop with this week hehe.. DOH!

Don,

I don't have a spare .config around or I would give it to you see if you
could make heads or tails of it.  Right now I can not find out why
everything in X is really slow, it's not burning cpu time, iostat is
good, the only thing I can guess is maybe some interrupt problem.

Or maybe it's something to do with the default X with xinerama enabled.
I'll start whacking things one at a time till it fixes it hehe..  Of
course the patch will come out right after I figure out what's wrong...

Blah, wish me luck..