[wplug] Serial Port Access in Red Hat 8

William Powell billpwl1 at attbi.com
Fri Apr 4 12:48:38 EST 2003

Redhat 2.4.18.14 running on a 133 P1 Compaq laptop.

I am trying to access some serial data coming into the first serial
port(ttyS0?) using minicom.  When I run minicom as either root or a
normal user I get the following error:

minicom: cannot open /dev/ttys0: Input/output error

The ls -l for /dev/ttys0 are as follows:
crw-rw-rw-    1 root    tty    3,    48    Aug 30 2002     /dev/ttys0

I added my username to the tty group, but that didn't have any effect.

Is this caused by a lockdown by some security tool that I haven't
detected yet?

I can capture this serial data fine using Win98 on com1.

Bill