[wplug] Redhat 9 Depressing as a first impression

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Fri Apr 4 10:58:38 EST 2003

John Strange wrote:
> Oh my,
>
> Running on a dual P3 1g with 1G ram, it's VERY sluggish, disk access
> time for an adaptech 7899 controller is VERY poor.  I tried rebuilding
> the redhat kernel that came with it until I finally gave up after the
> 12th module bombing out on the compile.
	It's been my experience that this is usually due to user error, in
particular, building broken dependencies in the "module profile" (turning on
one module that depends on a module you've turned off elsewhere)
	Do you have specific error output?
	Did you build from one of the config files supplied with the Red Hat
kernel RPM, or do you build from scratch?

> The kernel that came with Redhat 9 spews all kind of errors during
> compile time, it's not very pretty.
	Again, specifics would help, and the compile is only as accurate as
the .config / Makefile supplied to it.

> Building stock kernel now in hopes of performance increase, so beware
> if you are on a slow connection during install, it looks as if it
> needs a lot of work out the box.
	Not my experience, but then I'm only running on a P-III UP kernel -
my dual P-III Abit it down again (big surprise).

Don