[wplug] howto advertise all ports as open

Tim Lesher tim at lesher.ws
Thu Apr 3 22:09:54 EST 2003

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 04:54:55PM -0500, Lance Tost wrote:
> Does anyone have a current link for portsentry?  I used to find it at
> http://www.psionic.com but that now takes me to cisco.com... and searching
> their webpage for portsentry results in nothing.

Yep, Cisco bought psionic; since then, psionic.com has disappeared,
and the freshmeat.net entry for portsentry has been deleted.

Worse, portsentry was not open source; while it was distributed as
source, its license specifically forbids modification.  So Cisco now
owns it, lock stock and barrel. (I suppose they probably wouldn't have
paid $12M for it otherwise.)

One alternative is psad, from www.cipherdyne.com.  It's explicitly
written as a replacement for portsentry from both a legal and
technical view (it integrates with the Linux firewalling code rather
than sitting inside the firewall).  I haven't tried it yet, but I plan
to when I upgrade my mailserver.

--
Tim Lesher <tim at lesher.ws>
http://www.lesher.ws