[wplug] OT: One last word on Python

Tim Lesher tim at lesher.ws
Thu Apr 3 21:55:53 EST 2003

I don't believe in language advocacy (which is why I mostly stayed out
of the recent discussion); I believe in the right tool for the right
job.

But a discussion came up at work that dovetailed nicely with
the recent language discussion here.

I was talking to another developer on our team; he usually works on
the client-side software (written in Python); I usually work on the
C++ server side, although we do swap back and forth.  I asked him what
he was up to, and he said, "Oh, I'm fighting this damned Python
problem again."

When I probed deeper, it turned out that he was actually having some
trouble working around a bug in the cross-platform GUI library we use,
which has both Python and C++ bindings.  I pointed out that even if he
were using C++ with the library, he would have run into the same bug.

His response: "Yes, but when I'm writing C++ I'm already in the
mind-frame of fighting against the tools.  It's much more frustrating
when it happens in a Python project."

A left-handed compliment, to be sure, but a compliment all the
same. :-)

--
Tim Lesher <tim at lesher.ws>
http://www.lesher.ws