[wplug] Dual boot question

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Thu Apr 3 14:18:49 EST 2003

Doug Dominick wrote:
> Don,
>
> 	Thanks for answering my questions again.  It has an ATI Fire GL2
> graphics card.  There is a driver on ATI's site.  How do I not set it
> to boot to the GUI by default?  Once it boots how do I get it to go
> into the GUI?
The installer will try to configure X as part of the install (even in text
mode).  It may work, it may not - the only time you'll see an install time
prompt to select GUI -vs- Text login is at this point.  If it fails during
install, boot the system (in non-GUI mode of course) and run
redhat-config-xfree

There are options - but it should probe for you.  If that fails, try to use
it to set the config for a generic laptop display at 800x600 and an SVGA
video server - that's about as bland a config as you can get.  Once that's
working, copy off /etc/X11/XF86Config and try to up the resolution or set it
for an ATI driver - you'll always have the copy XF86Config to fall back on.

To start the GUI it's "startx"
To start a login manager (a GUI tool) it's "init 5"

man init
man startx
see RH docs (!!!!)

Don