[wplug] dead network

Mike Griffin mike at dmrnetworks.com
Thu Apr 3 08:48:27 EST 2003

First, make sure the network cable is plugged into the card. Most cards
have a green light when it is plugged in, as does the medium you're
plugging into (hub,switch,router,dsl gateway, etc..)
Make sure you have a route to the gateway setup.
netstat -rn  will give you this output.  look at the line for the
default gateway which should look something like this:
Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Netif
Expire
default            192.168.0.100      UGSc        6        4       en0
  or

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window
irtt Iface
0.0.0.0         192.168.0.1        0.0.0.0              UG       40
0                0 eth0

I don't know if mandrake installs a firewall off the get-go, make sure
that pings are enabled at the firewall level.  Aside from your gateway,
the next best thing to try to ping are your nameservers, you can find
them in /etc/resolv.conf.
cat /etc/resolv.conf

Last, try to do a `host` on a website address
host www.yahoo.com

If you get a list of addresses, your able to query your nameserver and
all should go well.

Mike