[wplug] tape backup error

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Wed Apr 2 21:19:44 EST 2003

 I'd say try one of the following:
 - run the script and watch when the error is generated
 - try a retension or a rewind and see if that generates a similar error
...it may be that you're merely seeing an error when the drive hits the
header, but not knowing the behavior of that particular drive it's purely
conjecture on my part.

I'm actually going to get back into tape devices - I was astounded to find
an H-P 6 tape DDS-2 DAT library on eBay for $65!  I've read that amanda and
mtx support it just fine.  Neat-o.  I tried to use cpio today (while
installing the Citrix client) and forgot the syntax.  Man, I hate getting
old.....

Don

-----Original Message-----
From: Duncan Hutty
To: wplug at wplug.org
Sent: 4/2/03 6:26 PM
Subject: [wplug] tape backup error

On my newly linuxified server, I am running a nightly backup to tape
(only a small amount of data, perfectly feasible to do a complete backup
every night) using a script where the important command is:

tar -cvjf /dev/st0 $files 1> $logfile 2>&1

It appears to be working correctly according to the output of tar -djvf
/dev/st0

However, on the console I notice the following error:
	st0:Error with sense data: Current st09:00:sense key IIlegal
Request
	Additional sense indicates Invalid operation code

I can't even parse, let alone understand, this error and hope someone
can suggest what's it about or where I could search for information.

If it matters, it is a Seagate Tape Drive STT8000A which uses the
ide-scsi module.

Thanks.

--
Duncan Hutty