[wplug] Dual boot question

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Wed Apr 2 16:08:00 EST 2003

Sometime in April Doug Dominick assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Group,
|
|     I would like to setup my workstation to dual boot RH Linux and W2000
| Pro.  I am currently only running W2000 Pro.  I have a 73 GB drive with
| 3 partitions.  The first one is 8GB for the W2000 Pro OS, the second is
| 2GB for swap and the last partition uses the rest of the space for data.
| I have plenty of room for Linux on the third partition.  I will resize
| that partition to leave 10GB of unallocated space.  My question here is;
| does Linux have to be loaded within a certain range of the beginning of
| the hard drive, or will it load properly if I follow the steps I listed
| above?  My second question is; do I have to do anything special to take
| advantage of dual processors?  I appreciate any help you can offer.

hey doug.

i'm pretty sure you wont have a problem with the location of redhat on the
hard drive. redhat will most likely detect your two cpu's. i read a post on
slashdot where a guy had a dual system that was not detected by redhat 8
but was detected by redhat 9. i don't think i've had a problem with redhat
detecting mine. if for some reason it does not then you should be able to
install the smp kernel rpm's and reboot. also, i think there is an
installfest this saturday (is this official?).

john harrold               | "They that can give up essential
     jmh at member.fsf.org |  liberty to obtain a little
/"\                        |  temporary safety deserve neither
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign  |  liberty nor safety."
 X  against HTML mail      |
/ \                        |  Benjamin Franklin
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E
Jim Bakker spells his name with two k's because three
would be too obvious.
--Bill Maher