[wplug] Some networking issues

David Gerard Matthews dgm4+ at pitt.edu
Wed Apr 2 00:13:38 EST 2003

Hello again,
I'm back on this list after some absence.  Anyway, I'm now trying to
get my Linux box and my new PowerBook G4 to play nicely together.
Specifically, I'm trying to share a printer and to send use ssh for
remote X connections.  NFS and/or AppleTalk networking would also be
nice, but not yet a priority.  At this point, I'm able to ssh between
the machines, and use scp to transfer files back and forth, but remote
X still isn't happening.  I'm running OS X Jaguar with the most recent
public beta of X11 from Apple on the Mac, and RH8 on the Linux box.  I
have "forward ssh" enabled in the ssh_config files on both machines.
Neither machine has a permanent broadband internet connection; both
have dialup modem connections, and I shut down the ethernet connection
between the two machines when I start ppp on one of them.  I'm using
10.0.1.201 and 10.0.1.202 as IP addresses.
Also, what would be the easiest way to share the printer?  My current
plan is to have it connected to the Linux box's parallel port, but I'm
not sure how to configure it from the Mac end of things.
Thanks,
dgm