[wplug] ATI video Card

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Wed Apr 2 10:02:59 EST 2003

Brian Medley wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 09:11:21AM -0500, Vanco, Donald wrote:
>
>>> I am planning on buying an ATI Radeon 7000 card for one of my
>>> machines.  Has anyone had any experience with this card?  Should I
>>> expect any problems?  The box will be running either RH 9 or Slack
>>> 9, maybe both.
>>
>> 	ATI is probably the best supported video card manufacturer under
>> Linux.  You'll find that current versions of XFree have full 2D and
>> 3D support for all of the 7xxx and 8xxx families of cards. Some of
>> the newer ones will be 2D only for a time.  The downside is that the
>> slick tools for many cards (like my Radeon 8500DV) are still Windoze
>> Only.
>
> I wouldn't call them the best supported card.

	I can only pass on comments I've gotten directly from the developers
of XFree86.  About a dozen people a month ask "What's the best video card
brand under Linux?" - and the answer is always the same - ATI.  I own
several nVidia cards - and updating the driver is a PITA.  I'm glad to see
they're getting support out a lot quicker these days, but it's still a
closed binary (which I happen to personally not like).

Don