[wplug] yahoo im fonts in gnome resolved

TC Linux linux at twistedcranium.com
Tue Apr 1 20:48:07 EST 2003

Lance Tost wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, TC Linux wrote:
>
>>2. gnome seems to have an issue with displaying fonts in yahoo IM  but
>>it runs just fine in kde (likely not related to RH)
>>

> This happened to me in RH8.. I forget what the fix was... maybe grab the
> latest Yahoo IM client... OR, you could just use gaim which is what I do.
> It talks to Yahoo IM, AIM, ms messenger, irc, etc... and no font problems.
>
> Actually... thinking back... and looking at my /usr/bin/ymessenger... I
> commented out LD_LIBRARY_PATH=... so maybe that was the fix.  Try that.

Lance,

Commenting out that LD_LIBRARY_PATH line wasn't exactly the fix that
worked in my case, but it did give me a good place to start and after a
google search on 'ymessenger fonts gnome' the first hit....

http://freshmeat.net/projects/ymessenger/?topic_id=20

suggested a fix that took care of the problem.

Thanks a ton!  Don't get me wrong here, but sometimes the best help, is
the help that doesn't initially solve the problem but only points you in
the right direction to find the solution.  And I suppose that in the
linux world this seems very true since some people's setups vary
differently and what fixes one thing may not always fix another.

After I finish this email though, I'm going to setup and try out gaim, I
dig one client that handles multiple chat protocols, beats tieing up
system resources.  On windows I used Trillian to handle that so it looks
like gaim will be its linux 'equivalent'.

Thanks
Craig

--

craig lang
linux at twistedcranium.com
http://www.twistedcranium.com
{ICQ 137138155 & Yahoo/AOL IM: twistdcranium}