[wplug] first language

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Tue Apr 1 13:39:17 EST 2003

Sometime in April billings at negate.org assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 10:34, Scott Bourns wrote:
|
| > P.S. Obviously, this would be a convenient time to start with PERL, but
| > do I need to know a fair amount of C/C++ first?
|
| If you've already had some programming experience, even if it's just a
| little, Perl is very easy to learn.  And it's very useful for a network
| or system administrator.

i'm on billings side here. perl is fairly easy to pick up and it's pretty
darn powerful. it can be messy to look at, but this is more a function of
the author and the readers understanding of perl. remember to use warnings
and strict to keep things more manageable. cpan (www.cpan.org) one of the
most compelling aspects of perl. this is a rather huge collection of
modules written for perl which has a convenient interface for installing
these modules. so, for example, if you want to do some work with pdf files
there are literally hundreds of modules that deal with pdf's.

i went to cpan and it appears they have their april fools day page up.
it freaked me out at first, but click on any link to get the correct page
:).

john harrold               | "They that can give up essential
     jmh at member.fsf.org |  liberty to obtain a little
/"\                        |  temporary safety deserve neither
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign  |  liberty nor safety."
 X  against HTML mail      |
/ \                        |  Benjamin Franklin
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E
Jim Bakker spells his name with two k's because three
would be too obvious.
--Bill Maher