[wplug] lprng vs cups.

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Fri Sep 6 07:54:22 EDT 2002

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 @ 10:08am (-0400), John 'el asesino del pollo' Harrold...:

JeadpH> hey.
JeadpH>
JeadpH>    o integration into applications
JeadpH>       ie goto file -> print the printers are located there in some clickish
JeadpH>       fashion. more appealing to people who don't want to type commands.
JeadpH>    o take advantage of more of the features of the printer.
JeadpH>       economy mode, different dpi, multiple pages per face.
JeadpH>
JeadpH> so i want something that will allow me to achieve these goals. i also don't
JeadpH> want to have to muck around too much on the workstation (ie installing on
JeadpH> the workstations is easily scriptable).
JeadpH>
JeadpH> both lprng and cups are integrated into the kde applications (anyone know
JeadpH> about gnome?).  on usenet i read some stuff that suggested cups would be

the gnome-print project is in pretty sad shape.

http://www.levien.com/gnome/print-arch.html

CUPS never impressed me, with it's sleasy half-commercialized developer
entity and the really lame web interface.

although you have to give them credit for the work

-lava

JeadpH> better for the second point above, but that it was more buggy than lprng.
JeadpH>
JeadpH> would anyone like to share their opinions of the two and suggest a method
JeadpH> for installing/sharing print spools (perhaps via nis)?
JeadpH>
JeadpH> --
JeadpH> ---------------------------------------------------------------
JeadpH> john harrold               | "They that can give up essential
JeadpH>      jmh17 at pitt.edu        |  liberty to obtain a little
JeadpH> /"\                        |  temporary safety deserve neither
JeadpH> \ / ASCII ribbon campaign  |  liberty nor safety."
JeadpH>  X  against HTML mail      |
JeadpH> / \                        |  Benjamin Franklin
JeadpH> Rob a convenience store and you're a "thief". Screw thousands
JeadpH> of people out of their life savings, send them to the
JeadpH> unemployment lines and beat the economy when it's already
JeadpH> down and you're "corporate wrongdoer".
JeadpH>
JeadpH> wplug mailing list
JeadpH> wplug at wplug.org