[wplug] Wireless cards II.

Michael Skowvron skowvron at verizon.net
Fri Sep 6 10:35:48 EDT 2002

> that the interface is configured properly; /usr/local/sbin/iwconfig shows
> the proper configuration, but the MAC of the WAP is 44:44:44:44:44:44.
> Signal quality is 0/xx, strength and noise are between 130 and 150 each.

You have unquestionably found a bug in the wireless drivers. It's got to
be in the common wireless code, too, because you've tried so many
different cards. There's a slight possibility that it could be a
hardware problem within the laptop, but I suspect you would see strange
behavior on other devices if that were true. I also don't suspect
hardware because you state that the card will resume working once WEP is
turned off. That's a clincher that the problem is somewhere in Linux.

Does anyone know if there's a way to PANIC Linux and force a vmcore
dump? It would be great if we could send a memory image of the failure
state to the developers so they could see what's happening.

If we can't capture the problem for resolution, then the best
suggestions for working around it have been to recompile your kernel and
pcmcia drivers; try different versions of the pcmcia driver because the
"latest" might not be the best; or try the "NG" drivers.

You've done a lot to isolate the problem, but what you've found sure
looks like a kernel bug.

Michael