[wplug] what os is running?

Ivan Jager ivanj_nospam at terere.res.cmu.edu
Wed Oct 30 17:52:48 EST 2002

On 2002.10.30 17:44 Emilio Xavier Esposito wrote:
> Hi
> This is going to sound a bit odd, but I want to find out what OS the
> machines on my network are running without going to each machine.  Is
> there a way to "probe" each machine without being overly intrusive?
> This is being done to compile statistics and nothing more.  We are
> curious what OS (Linux, *nix, Mac, Windows) is running and the number.
> I'm aware of <www.netcraft.com> but I'm looking for something that will
> run in batch-mode.
> Thanks
> Emilio

If you are using Debian you can apt-get these... My experiences with xprobe are better, but they both work, and both can misidentify the OS.

Package: queso
 This program probes a remote machine with a certain sequence of TCP packets.
 By analysing the response packets it can determine the type of operating
 system that runs on the remote machine, the version of that OS and sometimes
 it can even give information about the configuration of that machine.

Package: xprobe
 Xprobe allows you to determine what operating system is running on a
 remote host. It sends several packets to a host and analyses the
 returned ICMP packets. The tool automates a logic of OS
 fingerprinting methods called "X".
 .
 Xprobe's functionality is comparable to the OS fingerprinting feature
 in nmap, but has several advantages over it:
  - Faster: A maximum of 4 packets are sent to determine the remote OS.
  - Can detect whether the host is up, so pinging is no longer necessary.
  - Stealthier: Does not send any malformed datagrams.
  - Can distinguish between many variants of Microsoft operating systems.