FW: [wplug] what os is running?

Coutch, Robert Robert_E_Coutch at tvratings.com
Thu Oct 31 09:16:38 EST 2002

If you don't want to risk making waves ( or even trouble ) by using Nmap,
try looging into the machines via ftp. If the serve ftp, some info might be
in the login message. You can also pull some info from http requests but
you'll need special software ( I can't remeber what it was ) to do this.

If port scanning is allowed, try cheops.
It maps out a network graphically and show the OS of each device it finds.
You can also set it to monitor when machines go online/offline as well as
some basic SNMP stuff.

-Bob