[wplug] cheap, linux friendly ISP

James Kramer jmkramer at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Oct 30 09:39:13 EST 2002

Hi,
A month or so ago someone was inquiring about a linux friendly Internet
Service Provider.  I found a good inexpensive service provider that has
access points throughout the country.  It can be found at
http://www.access-4-free.com.  Be sure to include the hyphens or you will
get a porn site.  You should read the info (I just briefly scanned it) but
it is basically free for 10 hours per month---V92 connection--many local
numbers.  They have several other access packages.  I think one
is called access-4-less (unlimited coverage $7 per month).  It is owned by
Hawk communication.  Briefly scanning their site I think that they also
provide Telnet and FTP.
I had my Debian 3.0 system connected in five minutes.  I used pppconfig.
I answered the following questions
posed by pppconfig

provider handle:  a4f
type DNS:            dynamic DNS
handshake:           PAP
username:            myname
password:            mypassword
baud rate:           115200
Tone/Dial            Tone
phone no:            14125284014
Identfy modem port:  YES

That's all it took.
to connect type:      pon a4f
to disconnect type:   poff a4f

I only used the ISP for a few days so I don't know much about it but it
seems to perform surprisingly well.  No banner adds.

Jay