[wplug] xmms/mp3 help

Brian Sammon brians+ at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Oct 29 09:35:13 EST 2002

> my audio system.  If I boot up xmms on the laptop (now known as remote) and
> start playing mp3 files, life is good and it would appear I have met with su

Is this when logged in as root?

> boot up the local into XP and get my hand-dandy Xwin32 to connect to the
> remote machine via ssh.  Connection goes fine and when I launch xmms, the
> window appears.  However, when I try to play an mp3 file, I get an error say
> the sound card is not configured properly.  After some detective work, it wo

Do you log in as root here?

I suspect the problem is that you can play MP3s as root, but not as
another user.

If so, check the permissions on the sound device--"ls -l /dev/dsp"

I think you need to put the user who wants to play MP3s in the "audio"
group or something like that.