[wplug] Second round of questions from newbie...

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon Oct 28 16:47:50 EST 2002

Sometime in October Anna McCullough assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Thanks for the info, though I'm not quite as concerned about font appearance
| onscreen as much as I am for how well Linux actually PRINTS these typefaces. Of
| course I want to be able to view all my typefaces in their proper glory, but as
| someone who does frequent DTP jobs I also need them to show up on paper the way
| they should, too :)
|
| How about Type 1/Adobe fonts? I've read somewhere that Linux wants you to have
| all four font files - .afm, .inf, .pfb and .pfm - for each font, but the vast
| majority of my Type 1 library only uses the latter two (no .afm or .inf files).
| Does that suggest a problem?
|
| Thanks again (I printed the Register pages and am keeping them for reference)!!
|
| Cheers,
| Anna

if you are concerned about print quality, you should check out latex. it
comes free with redhat. it has a graphical front end called lyx, but i've
never used it. there is a lot of stuff on the net to get you started, the
first one to come to mind is the ``not so short guide to latex2e''. there
is also a tex news group that has a lot of information when you have
specific questions.

john harrold               | "They that can give up essential
     jmh17+maps at pitt.edu   |  liberty to obtain a little
/"\                        |  temporary safety deserve neither
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign  |  liberty nor safety."
 X  against HTML mail      |
/ \                        |  Benjamin Franklin
  "International security is not a zero-sum game. Peace,
  security and freedom are not finite commodities - like l
  and, oil or gold - which one state can acquire at
  another's expense."
  United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan