[wplug] port scans

Bryce Lynch bryce at telerama.lm.com
Thu Oct 24 16:41:45 EDT 2002

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, coldfire wrote:

> this, provided the machine has not been comprimised and netstat is indeed
> the original binary which came with the distribution :)

Very true.  I was working under the assumption that he was trying to
figure out why a new application wasn't working correctly, and he wanted
to see what might be holding a port open.

> however, if you suspect the machine was comprimised, you should most
> definitely scan the machine from another trusted source using a utility

A copy of lsof that was compiled as statically linked would also be
useful.

> such as nmap.  the reasoning is that if a machine is comprimised and some
> arbitrary port is opened up (such as 6667 which has been the most popular
> lately), then the attacker may have altered netstat in such a way that it
> won't report port 6667 as open even if it is.

A good many of the other binaries as well.

--
Encrypted private e-mail preferred.
public key: http://users.telerama.com/~bryce/gpg.key

			'Progress over protocol.'