[wplug] Really basic question...

J Aaron Farr jaaronfarr at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 23 22:32:22 EDT 2002

--- yankoc <yankoc at attbi.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> New to Linux but familiar with MacOS. I want to do Java development on Linux
> so I downloaded the SDK from Sun¹s website.. The resulting file is an
> *RPM.bin file. How do I uncompress it to install the package? (On a Mac I¹d
> use stuffit expander for binary compression)
>
> Also, the RPM seems to be pretty old. Does much Java dev happen on Linux?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

I do a lot of java development, though not all of it on Linux.

My understanding of the JAVA/LINUX story is like this: Since Java is under the
"control" of Sun Microsystems, the linux community originally did not adopt
Java as a common programming language.  Instead, if linux hackers weren't using
C/C++, they tended to use "Free Software" languages like Python or Perl.
Consequently, until more recently there wasn't a lot of java development on
linux.

However, that's changed (or changing).  Java and Linux are both competitors
against Microsoft, especially Microsoft's .NET.  So there's been more work on
getting to two to work well together (by Sun, IBM, etc.).

If you're looking for the latest JDK from Sun, look at:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html

Either the "Linux RPM in self-extracting file" (and -rpm.bin file) or the
"Linux self-extracting file" (a .bin file) will work.  If you're not using and
RPM based linux distro (ie- you're using something like Debian or Slackware),
then get the .bin version.  (Personally I've always just gotten the .bin one
since that always works)

Once you have the file, open a terminal and move to the directory that has the
JDK.  You'll need to be "root" user to install.

For .bin version, just run a command like this:

   ./j2sdk-1_4_1_01-linux-i586.bin
or
   ./j2sdk-1_4_1_01-linux-i586-rpm.bin

For the JDK you have to agree to the EULA that Sun has.  In other words, after
you use the above command, a bunch of legal info is going to fill the screen
(use the space bar to scroll through).  Then it's going to ask you if you agree
(if you do, type "yes").  Then it should go ahead and install.

If you have some trouble, please post again.

Enjoy!
jaaron