[wplug] My silent cd player

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Tue Oct 22 18:49:12 EDT 2002

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 @ 3:28pm (-0400), Nathan Powell wrote:

NP> >Other CD players don't make the drive play, but instead read the audio
NP> > >digitally and send it to the sound card. If the little bars in XMMS are
NP> > >moving, then it is doing that.

NP> Windows XP can play cd's in digital and analog modes. I think digital mode
NP> is default though, i would think for better sounbd quality.

....better quality CD sound and massive wasted bandwidth on the I/O bus.

Don't forget that most CD players have an internal volume mixer for the DAC
in addition to the CD input volume on the soundcard.  You might also avoid
using XMMS to play CDs...it is really worth 15 meg of memory to play CDs?
try something like cdp instead.

-lava