[wplug] My silent cd player

Ivan Jager ivanj at terere.res.cmu.edu
Tue Oct 22 14:03:00 EDT 2002

On 2002.10.22 11:40 John Harrold wrote:
> Sometime in October J Aaron Farr assaulted the keyboard and produced:
>
> | Hello.
> |
> | I had this problem before on another system.  Never did fix it because
> | it wasn't really important then.  My cd player doesn't play.  Or I
> | should say it does (the little timer increments, but no sound).  XMMS
> | plays just fine, but gnome-cd or grip or any other "cd player" remains
> | silent.  The cd-player works fine in WinXP, so it isn't a hardware
> | issue.  I think it's all about what I have set as my sound device.
> | Unfortunately, the linux sound system is still fairly alien to me, so I
> | don't even know where to start.  What I do know is that I'm using ALSA
> | drivers, and my guess is that the cd-players are set to use esd (or
> | whatever other alternative sound system is out there).  I've tried
> | looking up some info on ALSA and gnome-cd, but haven't found anything
> | that really helps.  So, any ideas?
> |
> | Thanks!
> | jaaron
>

> humm... to me it sounds like the cd audio channel is either turned all the
> way down or it has been muted. have you checked your mixer (kmix for
> example) and made sure the channel is enabled (the green dot under the
> disk)? sorry if this seems too basic.

Do you have the little audio cable connecting the CD-ROM drive to your sound card? If you are missing that, many players will play, but you won't hear anything. Those would be the players that just tell the drive to play and don't worry about anything.

Other CD players don't make the drive play, but instead read the audio digitally and send it to the sound card. If the little bars in XMMS are moving, then it is doing that.

The first players will not work if you are missing that little cable or if the CD channel is muted, but the ones that read the CD themselves would work anyways. (the disadvantage is that they use a little more CPU) I don't know what XP does.