[wplug] My silent cd player

J Aaron Farr jaaronfarr at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 22 11:10:14 EDT 2002

Hello.

I had this problem before on another system.  Never did fix it because
it wasn't really important then.  My cd player doesn't play.  Or I
should say it does (the little timer increments, but no sound).  XMMS
plays just fine, but gnome-cd or grip or any other "cd player" remains
silent.  The cd-player works fine in WinXP, so it isn't a hardware
issue.  I think it's all about what I have set as my sound device.
Unfortunately, the linux sound system is still fairly alien to me, so I
don't even know where to start.  What I do know is that I'm using ALSA
drivers, and my guess is that the cd-players are set to use esd (or
whatever other alternative sound system is out there).  I've tried
looking up some info on ALSA and gnome-cd, but haven't found anything
that really helps.  So, any ideas?

Thanks!
jaaron

PS - Running RedHat 8.0