[wplug] Say Steve, why not give GIMP a shot?

Steve Kudlak chromexa at ovis.net
Wed Oct 16 14:57:59 EDT 2002

"Mr. David Bersson" wrote:

> Dear Mr. Steve Kudlack
> My I suggest you try GIMP? I've use it quite often. It has similiarities to Abode Photoshop. Many plugins exist for it.
> I've created quite a few websites using it. I've read it's a $600.00 and you'll get it completely free with you Linux OS. I use Libernet 2.7 and the apt-get gave me an incredible number of plugins.
>
> You can scan an image right from GIMP. It's the standard graphical program for Linux and constantly being worked on by Linux programers.
>
> Kpaint is a lesser paint program but it might be useful for you.
>
> Most Linux OS will give you the option to auto install the partitions, but others have different needs. I simply do not use Windows and I would never have it on my computers. My way is to install more harddrives into the terminal and use different Linux Distros.
>
> I used Windows for years and I simply stopped learning. I have the type of mind that has an absolute thirst for knowledge. Linux satifies this thirst.
>
> Cordially,
> David Bersson
>
> P.S. Does anyone have any idea when the next install fest will be?
> I am a Pittsburgh resident who wants to attend.
>
> > Message: 13
> > Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 06:32:39 -0400
> > From: Steve Kudlak
> > To: Western Pennsylvania Linux Users Group
> > Subject: [wplug] Graphic Arts Software...
> >
> > This is sort of non-technical but this is what I
> > deal with when the question of "going to linux"
> > arises. Is there good Graphic Arts Software
> > for Linux? I know I should check and see if
> > COREL still is supporting Linux for DRAW
> > and PHOTO-PAINT. I know this is non-technical
> > but this question comes up time and again when
> > I talk to Graphics people about going to Linux.
> >
> > As far as technical questions in general...Well is
> > it a cleaner solution to go to a setup where Windows
> > has its disk and Linux has its disk and one dual boots.
> > That would seem to be a way to get around many of
> > the partition problems. Have I got that correct overall?
> > I am overall lurking and watching the partition thread
> > with great interest.
> >
> > Thanks and Have Fun,
> > Sends Steve

> > End of wplug Digest

OK let me "come out" as they say on the West Coast.
I had a weird time in my life, details only upon request:)
and no it wasn't scary that bad and didn't involve white
powdery substances.:) I find myself in the familair worlds
of technology and art. I have GIMP for Windows and I
am on the developer mailing lists although mostly I lurk
and tweak.  I belong to Graphic Arts groups and I have
been trying to convince that world to give GIMP a whirl
and that it  a good thing.

Right Now Graphics Arts People do still get a bit
flummoxed on the technical details in books like
GIMP The Official Handbook and The Artist Guide
to GIMP. Most people learn GIMP as far as
I can tell from other people in what I call true Guild
Style. SO at some point I might essay a GIMP intro
with pointers to the main references. A milder version
of the "How I made this pretty picture" that is
done pretty well in The Official Handbook.

As far as doing installs...I have done installs of all
sorts of systems but never of a Linux/Windows dual
boot. I know many of the overall details but not
many of the things one gets when one actually goes
and does something.  My close friend out in Northern
California is thinking of just sending me a hard disk
and Red Hat CDs. Since the Linux Scence for want
of a better term is pretty dead down here I will probably
start heading up for the GUM meetings and the install
fests. Read I am planning on delurking in a major way. :)

Have Fun,
Sends Steve

P.S. By the way giggle it has been along time since I have
been addressed formally as "Mr. Steve Kudlak..." must be
the energy off that High School Alumuni Newsletter I got
in the mail..Hmmm "energy eh? How long was this guy in
(Northern) California?