[wplug] Drive Partitions

J Aaron Farr jaaronfarr at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 16 00:48:15 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 23:41, Rafael E. Herrera wrote:

> > Erm, I'd say that
> >
> > [0] There is no built-in utility for doing that in XP and
> > [1] There aren't that many tools for NTFSv5 partition resizing.
> >
> > The only one I'm personally aware of is Partition Magic (version 8 or
> > newer?),
> > which by the way screwed up my partition when I tried to do exactly that
> > (resize an XP partition). So, yeah, things *can* go very wrong. Complete
> > backups are in order.
>
> I can offer a second account; someone at the office tried to resize a
> NTFS win xp partition and it didn't work. Booting with the xp cdrom and
> a chkdsk appear to have fixed the problem. Windows is crap.
> --
>       Rafael

I've used Partition Magic ( versions 7 and 8 ) quite a bit for making
dual boot systems.  In my experience it works well, in fact, I would
recommend it for a new user.  However, as others have mentioned, MAKE
BACKUPS. You never know what can happen.

I did notice that the last time I used PM 8, I was repartitioning an XP
box and while everything worked, Linux complained that the partition
tables weren't correct.  Like I said, it all work, Red Hat just kinda
ignored it, but I think there may be some issues still with XP or NTFS.
Also that time I was actually moving an entire partition to make some
room at the beginning of the disk for a /boot partition, so that might
have been what caused the trouble too.

jaaron