[wplug] backup issues

Robert Supansic rsupansic at libcom.com
Tue Oct 15 09:40:52 EDT 2002

Shawn L. Djernes wrote:

>What is an affordable solution to back up these large drives  Current home
>server has 3 drives 2x15gb 1x60 and a 100 is on it way.

I don't think there are any really good choices that are both practical and cost effective.
OnStream just announced a 120 MB (compressed) tape drive for about $1,200 (tapes are
$92 apiece).  The drive has an 8MB data transfer speed and a mid-tape directory, ubt I have
no idea what this means in terms of access times which are generally poor on tape drives.

Probably the only feasible alternative for today's large drives is a writeable DVD drive.  But
this could require a multi-disk backup cycle.  (I will be covering  that in my talk.)

>Next how and what utilities would you use to back up from a win 2k machine
>(It has the dds4 drive in it) itself, a winnt machine a Linux Debian box via
>the network.

I have no idea on this.  My talk (and experience) is limited to backing up via linux and I will be
concentrating on backing up a linux fileserver running samba.

---