[wplug] Red Hat 8.0 "features"

J Aaron Farr jaaronfarr at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 14 16:39:27 EDT 2002

--- John Harrold <jmh17 at pitt.edu> wrote:
> Sometime in October James O'Kane assaulted the keyboard and produced:
>
> | This is interesting, I do upgrades all the time and I don't recall having
> | problems like these. In the case of solitare, could your hardware be
> | flaky? Also remember, that Red Hat hasn't written most of this software,
> | they just packages it for consumption.
> |

> i'm with james on this one. while in the past i have reinstalled, the
> upgrades i've done of late have been fairly successful. granted i havent
> done a redhat 7.3-->8.0 upgrade. the change in the major version number
> would suggest that there is binary incompatabilities between the two. so it
> might be a good idea to do a fresh install. on the other hand, you would
> think redhat would have thought of that.
>
> i would also ask the question: "has the person installed any software from
> source?", or something similar, if so then upgrading probably wouldn't pick
> up on this. also installing custom rpms might have a similar effect. i
> don't think you can hold redhat accountable for problems like this.
>
> if redhat offers an upgrade from 7.x to 8 it should work for the most part.
> i'm really surprised there are a lot of problems.
> --

There was an article I read recently (might have been a slashdot comment) about
upgrading to Red Hat 8.0.  The user mentioned that everything seemed to work
okay and that the upgrade left all of his current settings untouched.  (Sorry,
I've looked but I can't seem to find the article).  Point is, the upgrade has
worked for at least someone out there.

As for myself, I recently did a fresh Red Hat 8.0 install and it's really nice.
 I would highly recommend "Red Hat 8.0 for KDE Users (and Newbies)" at:

The article has some really nice tips for "finishing" your Red Hat 8.0 install.

jaaron