[wplug] Red Hat 8.0 "features"

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon Oct 14 16:02:34 EDT 2002

Sometime in October James O'Kane assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| This is interesting, I do upgrades all the time and I don't recall having
| problems like these. In the case of solitare, could your hardware be
| flaky? Also remember, that Red Hat hasn't written most of this software,
| they just packages it for consumption.

i'm with james on this one. while in the past i have reinstalled, the
upgrades i've done of late have been fairly successful. granted i havent
done a redhat 7.3-->8.0 upgrade. the change in the major version number
would suggest that there is binary incompatabilities between the two. so it
might be a good idea to do a fresh install. on the other hand, you would
think redhat would have thought of that.

i would also ask the question: "has the person installed any software from
source?", or something similar, if so then upgrading probably wouldn't pick
up on this. also installing custom rpms might have a similar effect. i
don't think you can hold redhat accountable for problems like this.

if redhat offers an upgrade from 7.x to 8 it should work for the most part.
i'm really surprised there are a lot of problems.
john harrold               | "They that can give up essential
     jmh17 at pitt.edu        |  liberty to obtain a little
/"\                        |  temporary safety deserve neither
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign  |  liberty nor safety."
 X  against HTML mail      |
/ \                        |  Benjamin Franklin
  "International security is not a zero-sum game. Peace,
  security and freedom are not finite commodities - like l
  and, oil or gold - which one state can acquire at
  another's expense."
  United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan