[wplug] IBM Laptop

Ivan Jager ivanj at terere.res.cmu.edu
Thu Oct 10 14:29:18 EDT 2002

On 2002.10.10 12:27 Henry Umansky wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm about to purchase and IBM Thinkpad R32 and I wanted to install Linux on
> that machine.  I was just wondering if anyone knew of any hardware problems
> with that laptop??

I don't know if this applies to all Thinkpads or only older ones...

$ sensors-detect
 IF THIS IS AN IBM THINKPAD, PRESS CTRL-C NOW!
 IBM Thinkpads have a severely broken i2c/SMBus implementation,  just scanning
 the bus will break your thinkpad forever!

There might be a workaround to get lm-sensors to work on thinkpads, but I don't know... I've never been able to get lm-sensors to work (I have a desktop). Does anyone know if lm-sensors is only supposed to work on laptops or somethin? I would kind of like to be able to monitor the temperature of my CPU. My motherboard is an ASUS P4B266 with a 1.7 GHz Celery. (It's a P4 motherboard)